Eggs are an excellent source of protein and Vitamin D. In this recipe they are used with leftover boiled potatoes for a nutritious family meal on a budget.
This meal costs about €3.20. This is only 80c per portion!
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cooked potatoes, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 oz / 50g mushrooms. sliced
1 small leek or half a large leek, chopped
4 eggs mixed with enough milk to make 10fl oz/ 300ml
Salt and pepper to taste
1 generous tsp mixed herbs
1 0z /25 g cheese, grated
You will also need a heavy-bottomed frying pan.
1. Place oil in a frying pan and add the chopped onion.
2. Fry until soft on a medium heat. This will take about 10 minutes. Then add the garlic and leeks. Fry for about four minutes until the leeks are soft.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry for a further three minutes.
4. Break four eggs into a measuring jug and add enough milk to make 10fl oz / 300 ml of fluid. Add salt, pepper and herbs and beat well.
5. Arrange the sliced potatoes on top of the softened onions, leeks and mushrooms.
6. Pour the beaten egg mixture on top. Cook for a few minutes until the egg cooks through at the bottom.
7. Then add the grated cheese on top. Place the pan under a grill for about 5 minutes until the egg is completely cooked through.
8. Serve with brown bread and butter and a portion of broccoli or any other seasonal vegetable.